In processing the recent event with my mom, I realized that I've neglected to properly blog about her. To get to my feelings about her today, I need to start with a little background.
Growing up, it was my parents, my brothers, my sister and me. I'm the second of the four children, and there are about 2.5 years between all of us. We didn't have much money, because my dad was a teacher and my mom stayed at home until my younger brother was in school, but we never lacked food, shelter or love.
I had a very happy childhood, but I always wanted to get away. I didn't want to leave the people; although we are very different the six of us would do anything for each other, and family members are some of my best friends in the world.
I wanted to leave my hometown. I don't know if it's because most of my extended family lived in big cities, because my parents were from big cities or because my parents were no longer living in the cities where they had grown up, but something in me told me that I couldn't be successful if I remained in my hometown all of my life.
I went to college and grad school in my hometown and then I did it; I escaped...in fairly dramatic fashion. I moved 3000 miles away to the San Franciso Bay area to work for the Oakland Raiders. I loved my year there, but did start to get a little homesick, so I returned to the East Coast for a similar job with the Charlotte Bobcats.
Professional sports PR was my dream, and I had achieved my dream...or so I thought. After a couple of years in Charlotte, a series of circumstances led me to move back to my hometown. I was reluctant to leave my job and my "dream", but another opportunity presented itself and I took it.
Although I was ok with my decision, part of me still regretted it. Six months after the move, Jason and I were married, and, although I was extremely happy with him, I still wondered why God had led me back home.
Then it happened, I got pregnant with twins, got put on bed rest, had two preemie miracles who spent 55 days in the hospital, and then brought home two babies who needed much love and care, and who I still do not trust with just anyone.
I don't know how our family would have made it through all of this without the help of my parents. They sat with me at the hospital when Jason couldn't be there. They fed me when I was having too many contractions to sit up and eat. They helped take care of Bella. They sat with us at the NICU and supported us in so many ways.
When the babies came home, my mom took three days off work to be with me. She, for a while, was our only babysitter. Like always, she went above and beyond the call of motherhood, grandmotherhood and friendship to help in any way she could.
Through my teen years, I went through a stage where I thought I was too cool for my parents. I think all teens do. But now, I'm so proud to introduce them to my friends, and I get excited just at the thought of seeing them and spending time with them. They will always be my parents, but they are also two of the best friends I could have ever imagined.
I know that we will have some rough times throughout the years with Kyran and Karyssa, but I have such a great example of love and selflessness to help me be who I want to be as a parent. I think this is the greatest gift of all!
3 comments:
This was really interesting to read! I know snippets of your life but nothing real concrete and nothing from your perspective! Yay for supportive mom's!
I love you!!!!
Sounds like you have a terrific mom, although I had already guessed that. :) I will continue to keep her in my prayers. And I will also be praying that our kiddos don't give us such a hard time when they get older! Ha!
Post a Comment