Tuesday, May 11, 2010

cog·ni·tion (kg-nshn) n. - That which comes to be known, as through perception, reasoning, or intuition; knowledge.

Aside from the usual, adorable, amazing, miraculous, etc., the word cognition comes to mind most when I think about my children now.  I've always heard how much children soak in during this time of their lives, and I've seen it a little bit, but to watch it on a daily basis is astounding. 

Until Sunday, I thought Karyssa had a shoe fetish.  She would bring me my shoes and get upset if I didn't put them on.  I realized, though, that when she brings me my shoes, it's because she wants to go outside.  She has observed that before we go outside, I always put my shoes on.  Sunday, I took them both outside separately, and they both reached for the handle of our sliding glass door and tried to pull it open. 

Karyssa is very much a "watcher", while Kyran is a "doer".  Karyssa wants to know how people work, and Kyran wants to know how things work.  He'll be the one to disassemble our DVD player one day.  Kyran uses the trial and error method to determine how things work.  Karyssa watches him, and once he's figured it out, does the task seamlessly. 

These differences also affect their "can" and "will".  Karyssa's "can" and "will" are two very different things.  Kyran's "can" and "will" are the same thing.  When Karyssa does something, she wants it to be perfect the first time, so she observes, and sometimes practices when she doesn't know we're looking, until she can do it right.  Kyran does tasks that he shouldn't physically be able to do, simply because he is so motivated.  He climbed stairs before he "should" have, he pulled to standing before he "should" have. 

Karyssa and Kyran are both so special.  I promised myself when they were born that I would try not to compare them, but it's impossible.  I guess it's part of my cognitive process of learning who my children are, and who they aren't, so that I can be ready to treat them in a way that will help them learn as much as possible and recognize the unique differences in others!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how smart they are? It's incredible. I think it's so sweet that Karyssa brings you your shoes when she wants to go outside.

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX