Thursday, May 6, 2010

I'm writing today, not really about the babies, but about a humbling lesson in human kindness that I received Tuesday. 

I'm embarrassed to admit that there are areas of town that I avoid.  If I drive through them at night, often I will lock my car doors.  I'm nervous about bringing Kyran and Karyssa into those areas, even during the day.  It's based on what I hear on the news and my own personal unfamiliarity with the areas.  Tuesday, I needed to visit a couple of Dollar General stores that are in those areas of town.  I took the babies with me, feeling pretty safe, being that it was daytime, but still slightly dreading the trip. 

When I arrived at the first store, I loaded the babies in the stroller and pushed it up to the door.  There were only two other people in the store, the clerk and the woman at the check-out counter.  Upon seeing me with the stroller, the clerk came and opened the door for me, commenting on how cute my kids were.  I asked her where I could find the items I needed, and she proceeded to walk to the aisle to get them for me.  I said, "You're helping this lady, if you just tell me where to find them, I can get them," to which the woman at the check-out counter said "No, you have those little babies. I don't mind waiting."  I checked out, and the clerk again held the door open for me, still smiling and talking to Karyssa and Kyran. 

The second store had a lot more activity in the parking lot, including some people sitting in the van next to me and a couple by the door that, at first sight, made me feel a little nervous.  As I walked into the store, the woman from the couple by the door held it open for me.  A grandma, mom and little girl came out and the mom said "Look, she has twins just like we do."  I spoke with her briefly and learned that she had 14-month old twins at home.  I had spoken with the clerk at that store earlier in the day, and although he was busy, he had pulled the items that I needed aside and had them waiting for me.  As I was leaving, someone else held the door open and told us to have a great day.

I have been to many, many stores since my kids were born.  Several upscale stores with very few customers, and I can count on one hand how many times the clerk has come to open the door for me, and maybe two hands how many times other customers have helped.  I've seen people just watch me struggle trying to fit the double stroller through the door, and it not even occur to them that I might need help.  I've waited in line behind people who have very little consideration for others' time.  I've been ignored by clerks and even had my children looked at like they might mess something up. 

And, here I go, into the area that I'm afraid of, and get treated better than anywhere except my home and my church.  I learned a lot about myself and about other people on Tuesday, from just a simple trip to the store.  This humbling lesson will stay with me for a long time, and I'm hoping that my children will read this one day and learn something too. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post and a great lesson for all of us! Thank you for sharing!

Stephany said...

I can be the same way, no wanting to venture into stores in locations that seem unsafe. I'm especially fearful of gas stations, for some reason.

This post was such a good reminder to never judge a book by its cover. I'm so happy you had a great experience!

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX