Because I have an amazing husband who will stop by places on his lunch hour or after work to pick up things for the house, and who will go grocery shopping with me, or stay home with the babies while I shop, on the weekends, I've never taken the babies to do major shopping by myself.
Yesterday, while attempting to do some laundry, I realized that we were out of laundry detergent. Since our afternoon appointment had cancelled, and we needed a few other things as well, I decided to take the babies to Target. This may not sound like such a big deal, but when you have two 15-month-olds who are not walking, and need to take them somewhere to get an object that may or may not fit in the bottom of their stroller, it presents a problem.
I know these places have double-seater carts, but how would I get them in the store? Would I push the stroller and pull the cart along behind me? Should I attempt to carry them both in, and try to situate them in the cart that way? Could I ask Target to have a cart waiting for me, or call to see if someone would bring one out? Could I park close enough that I would feel comfortable leaving them in the car long enough to run in and get a cart?
The answer to all of these was "no". I wasn't going to exercise any of those options. So, I put them in the stroller, left the diaper bag in the car, hung a basket from the "steering wheel" of the stroller and used that basket and the basket under the stroller to hold my purchases.
We were able to get everything we needed and one extra item. Possibly the best impulse purchase I've ever made. Take a look!
They had three different animals, and I tried them all out in the store. It was very clear that they were both more entertained by the monkey. In turn, several other shoppers were very entertained by them dancing in their stroller. Kyran will throw his hands up in the air for his usual dancing too, but he didn't want to perform for the camera, I guess.
Speaking of dancing, for several weeks now, if anyone says the word dance, Kyran throws his hands up in the air and starts dancing. The cutest part is that it looks like he's trying to snap his little fingers! He's also continuing to mimic all sorts of sounds and actions. The funniest one now is when I say "Cock-a-doodle-doo", he repeats, "Diddle, diddle, diddle, diddle."
They both now also love the Popeye the Sailor Man song, and will request it by making the "toot, toot" action. If I even say the word Popeye, they start doing that with huge smiles on their faces.
I'm so proud that they are learning their body parts too! They will now consistently point to their heads, mouths and noses, and will sometimes do ears and eyes! When Grandmommy was over the other day, they were putting her cell phone up to their ears.
Little things like that make me realize how much they are watching us, and that now we really have to be careful about what they see and hear!
2 comments:
The shopping thing is challenging! I've almost broken my hand before carrying one of those handheld baskets b/c I put too much in it, and the stuff wouldn't fit in the stroller. :) The other day, we ventured out to Wal-Mart, and now their little arms can reach so much more stuff. I forget that sometimes, so I was looking at something, and looked down and Addison had a lap full of fingernail polishes that she had pulled right off the shelf!!
That is just the cutest video ever!!!!!! I love it! Have you tried parking right next to the cart return? Although I don't know if they have the double carts there, so that could be a problem. That has been helpful to me, but I just don't know how you do a lot of things with two babies! Kuddos to you!!!!
Post a Comment