Wednesday, March 31, 2010

We had a very busy weekend, and because I'm getting busier as they sleep less and are more mobile, I'll give you the high points:

1.  The weekend started with our twins' club spring sale.  We shopped on Friday night, and I worked on Saturday.  We were able to get lots of good deals on clothes and toys.  Our living room is really starting to feel like Toys R Us!

2.  We went to the zoo on Saturday afternoon.  I think the zoo is quickly becoming one of Jason's favorite places.  The weather has just been perfect, and the animals have been pretty active.  I think our zoo pass was one of our best investments. 

3.  Kyran has had a verbal explosion recently.  In the last several days, he has said "up" several times, "duck", "quack", "bye-bye", "love you" and probably some that I'm forgetting. 

4.  I usually take Bella outside while the babies are in their high chairs, because I know they can't get into anything.  Before I take her out, I always make her sit and stay so that she doesn't race out of the door after a bird or squirrel.  I say stay and also use my pointer finger.  On Monday, Karyssa was watching me very closely, and I noticed that she was sticking out her pointer finger when I was.  I figured, if she can do that, she can make the sign for "1".  After working on it for a little of the afternoon, both babies now (when they want to), hold up one finger when we ask how old they are!!!

5.  We went shopping this weekend and got them some adorable Easter outfits, and a casual dress for Karyssa that matches Kyran's Easter outfit, so hopefully we will have some cute pictures soon.  We also got Kyran a new pair of sneakers, and both of them got new sandals. 

6.  They are just now fitting perfectly into their size one shoes, so of course, the new shoes we bought them are size 2.  I'm hoping that they will last through the summer. 

7.  We have been so fortunate that their clothing-size changes have always coincided with the season changes, and this time is no exception.  Just when they are starting to outgrow their winter 3-6 month outfits, we are replacing them with spring/summer 6-9 or 6-12 month clothes.  They're a little big now, but we know they'll fit perfectly before too long. 

8.  They have cut their naps down to about an hour and a half for both morning and afternoon, and are doing great with their extra playtime.  We've been taking lots of walks and playing in the yard as much as possible.  That also means, though, that I have much less time to do things I need to do around the house. 

9.  I think we may have found the first food that they don't like.  We decided to start trying different fruits, and they are not fans of the cantaloupe.  They will lick it, make a face and then just play with it.

10.  The  weaning process is in place, and going faster than I would like it to.  They now nurse three times a day, but Kyran only really nurses well in the morning.  He loves his sippy cup.  Karyssa will nurse, and probably would nurse for a while longer, but I'm just not sure how much milk she is getting anymore.  My goal is to have them down to just a morning nursing period by their 16-month mark on April 21. 

11.  They had a fun play date yesterday with a friend I met at my first mother of twins club meeting.  Her girls, Hailee and Hannah, are 4 and a half months old, and Karyssa and Kyran loved having them over!  Of course, I forgot to take pictures.  Kyran was his usual flirty self, and Karyssa just wanted to climb in and out of their car seats!  Seeing babies that small made me realize how far ours have come! 

12.  That brings me to my latest issue.  Since Kyran and Karyssa were born, they have been "the babies".  Since they will soon not be babies, I need to figure out what to call them.  I'm not a big fan of "the twins", because I really want them to have separate names and identities, but I feel like they're too young to call "the kids" at this point.  Any suggestions?

4 comments:

SKomarnicki said...

Let me know if you get any good suggestions about what to call them, because I've been wondering the same thing about Addison and Fischer. I don't like "the kids." Makes them seem too old!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I call ours "little ones" or "my big boys". You are right - they are NOT babies anymore!!! See you soon!
Jen :)

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this post! So many awesome updates! Can't wait to see pictures of them in their Easter outfits!

Anonymous said...

the "tots"

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX