Thursday, June 3, 2010

Five years ago today, I woke up and went to work, not knowing how much different things would be when I went to sleep that night. 

Jason and I had plans to visit his parents that weekend.   I lived in Charlotte at the time, so Jason would drive to Charlotte and pick me up, and we would drive the five hours together.  It usually went by pretty quickly, but it was still a long drive for a Friday night. 

That day, Jason said he had a meeting all afternoon and that he would be arriving late.  As usual, I had plenty of work to do, so I arrived home around 6:30 and found this waiting for me:


On the floor were two notes that he had printed up.  I made my way to him, stopping to read the notes along the way (although I was crying and shaking so badly at that point, I had to go back and read them again because it was too blurry and shaky to read the first time).  I got to him, and he said something about not being able to imagine his life without me, got down on one knee and asked me to marry him!  I said yes immediately, and basically collapsed onto him because I was so, so happy. 

After about 10 minutes of saying yes and crying, he asked me, "Do you even want to see the ring?".  He placed it on my finger and I remember thinking how unreal it felt. 

The ride to his parents went by in a flash.  We took turns calling our friends and family to tell them the news, and when I wasn't on the phone, I was staring at my new most-prized possession. 

When Jason and I had been dating for only two months, we were in the mall, and he led me into a jewelry store and asked me to find a ring I liked.  I looked at him like he was crazy, but he said "One day, I'm going to want to propose to you, and when that time comes, it will give it away if I have to ask what kind of ring you want."  Little did I know it would just be eight short months later when we would be engaged and planning the rest of our lives together! 

Jason, I want you to know that I love you more now than I did five years ago, and if you asked me again tonight, I would say yes in a heartbeat!  Thank you for your love and thank you for our life!

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX