Saturday, June 19, 2010

The other day, I was talking to a mom who raised her children many years ago.  I was telling her about our daily life, and it occurred to me how many modern conveniences we have to be thankful for.  Here is my list of things we couldn't (or at least would never want to) live without:

1.  Removable trays on high chairs - It's so much easier to clean them in the sink than to try to wipe them down.  It also makes it easy to take food away from them when they start dropping it for Bella. 

2.  Pack 'n Plays - I love these portable gifts from God!  They are beds, changing tables, play pens and sometimes storage. 

3.  The Forehead Thermometer - This little gadget just has to be held up to their heads for 7 seconds to get an accurate reading.  Mine squirm enough during those 7 seconds, and it's nearly impossible to get a temp any other way (especially for Karyssa). 

4.  Plastic Bibs with Pockets - The plastic bibs are easy to wash immediately and use over and over again.  The pockets catch so much food that would otherwise get on their clothes and in their high chairs. 

5.  Disposable Diapers - It's hard to believe these haven't always been available!  I know it's not the greatest thing for the environment, but it makes life so much easier!

6.  The Diaper Champ - A different version of the Diaper Genie, it does still let a little smell out, but it keeps me from having to go to the garage after each diaper change, and keeps our garage from smelling horrible!

7.  Adjustable Cribs - They are, and have been for a while, at the very bottom, but it was nice to be able to lower the mattresses as needed. 

8.  Baby Monitors - While we don't need ours much at home, it is nice to take them on trips, when we may be a little further away from them.  It also gives me a peace of mind to turn them all the way up at night when they are sick, so that I can hear them breathing. 

9.  Flouride-Free Toothpaste - Karyssa and Kyran love to brush their teeth, mainly because they love the taste of the toothpaste!  It would be impossible to brush their teeth now without them swallowing the toothpaste, so it's nice to have something that's safe for them.

10.  Car Seat Mirrors - Of course, rear-facing seats haven't been around for very long, but these are essential, in my opinion.  I feel lost if they kick theirs down (which they sometimes do).  They can see us with them too, and it's a nice way to stay connected to them until they face forward (which will probably still be a while, with all of the safety things I've read). 

11.  Digital Camera - This is not a baby item, per se, but I wouldn't want to live without one (or two, a video camera and camera phones, in our case)!

12.  Paci and Sippy Cup Clips - Well, they haven't used pacifiers for a long time now, but I've recently discovered the sippy cup clips that do the same thing.  How nice to not have to worry about them dropping their cups on the floor in public places!

And here are a few time-tested conveniences that we love:

1.  Cheerios - The fix-it-all!

2.  Books - My kids love when I read to them.  They can both be crying and all I have to do is pick up a book and they come right over.   Their favorites are touch and feel books and anything that rhymes.

3.  Del Monte Mixed Vegetables - Peas, carrots, green beans, corn and lima beans, cut in baby-sized pieces, in the same can.

4.  Musical Toys - These serve a dual purpose - they entertain the babies and help me know what they're doing if I step in the other room. 

5.  Diaper Bag - What would we do without this?  When we first got ours, I remember thinking how big it was, and that we would never fill it up...boy was I wrong!

Each of these things seems so simple by itself, but added together, they make life much easier, especially with two babies!  I'm so thankful for these conveniences that help me keep my children happy and healthy, and recommend them 100% to any moms that may be reading this!

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX