Wednesday, June 9, 2010

New Word Wednesday

While Kyran is still Mr. Mimic (more on that later), in the past week, I've nicknamed Karyssa "Mount St. Karyssa", because she has had an explosion of words, and they just keep coming!

Here are their new words for the week:

Kyran:

Belly button (be bu, while pointing to my belly button)
Eye
Bak, bak (like a chicken...this is his new favorite)
Ball
Bella (bay-a)

Karyssa:

Brush
Blow
Amen (men)
There
Bye bye
Bed Bug
Belly Button (bed bug and belly button sound the same, but were both said in context)
No ma'am
Night, night (with her cheek resting on her hands)

The majority of these words are missing their last consonants, but are either said in direct repetition or correct context, so we can figure out what they are saying. 

I'm not sure I've ever done it here, but in my everyday life, I tend to quote music lyrics a lot, especially Christian and country.  Two of my favorite songs are "I Want to be Just Like You" by Phillips, Craig and Dean and "I've Been Watching You" by Rodney Atkins.  Both are father-son songs, but really they work for all children.  Here are the choruses to those songs:

He said, "I’ve been watching you, dad ain’t that cool?
I’m your buckaroo, I want to be like you.
And eat all my food and grow as tall as you are.
We like fixin’ things and holding momma’s hand
Yeah, we’re just alike, hey, ain’t we dad?
I want to do everything you do; so I’ve been watching you"

Lord, I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be just like me
I want to be a holy example
For his innocent eyes to see
Help me be a living Bible, Lord
That my little boy can read
I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be like me

On Saturday, we had an "I've Been Watching You" moment, that led us to understand even more the concept of "I Want to be Just Like You". 

We went to the zoo for a little while on Saturday, and afterwards, we went to Wal-Mart, and Jason ran in quickly while we sat in the car.  I was looking at Karyssa and Kyran in their mirrors, when all of the sudden, Kyran put his finger in the corner of his eye, started shaking his head and smiling a huge smile, and then took his finger away and looked at it.  He did this several more times, and I thought it was rather peculiar.  I think my exact thought was "You little weirdo, what are you doing?". (Of course I meant weirdo in the most loving way!)

When Jason came out, I told him what I had just witnessed, and he offered an explanation.  About two hours prior, in the farm at our zoo, Jason had gotten an animal hair in his eye, so, several times in a row, he would scratch the corner of his eye and then look at it to see if he'd gotten the hair out.  Kyran, of course, had no idea what he was doing, but was having fun doing something he had seen his Daddy do.  Amazing!

 
Fun in the dog crate!


Fun in the laundry basket!

Switch!


Karyssa loves to play on the couch!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What sweethearts!!! Precious, precious, precious!

We have got to get our kiddos together. Looks like they enjoy hanging out in the same places....like the dog crate. Ha!

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX