Tuesday, November 24, 2009

One year ago:

Another good thing about my hospital stay is that I didn't have to worry about much, except for the babies. I worked when work needed to be done, but Jason had taken over all of the responsibilities of the house, and for the most part, people made sure I had nothing to stress about.

My three main concerns were resting, staying hydrated and managing my insulin and blood sugar. When I checked into the hospital, I let them know that I had gestational diabetes. That information got put in their system, including in the cafeteria. Each day, I ate the same thing:

Breakfast - Two scrambled eggs, one piece of buttered toast, two pieces of bacon and a carton of milk
Morning snack - 15 bran crackers, a banana and 10 unsalted almonds
Lunch - PB&J sandwich (that Jason brought from home each morning), salad with ranch dressing and an apple
Afternoon snack - 15 bran crackers, an apple or banana and 10 unsalted almonds
Dinner - Roast beef with gravy, mashed potatoes, squash and zucchini, salad with ranch dressing and a carton of milk
Bedtime snack - 15 bran crackers, yogurt (that Jason also brought from home) and 10 unsalted almonds

This menu usually kept my blood sugar under control. The problem was that apparently the hospital associated diabetes with obesity and high cholesterol, so, for the first week and a half that I was there, I was given an egg substitute in the morning and fat-free ranch dressing, and wasn't allowed bacon.

After trying to reason with the cafeteria workers (and being told there was nothing they could do), one of the doctors finally called and changed my dietary restrictions.

Today:

The babies had a good orthopedist appointment this morning. They saw the doctor because of our PT's suspicion of CP. He said that Karyssa looks great, and he doesn't think there is any way that she has it. Kyran, on the other hand, may have a mild case, but it is too early to tell.

He suggested the "wait-and-see" method and unless they were 18 months old and not walking that they should be fine. I told him our PT's reasons for being proactive, and he said he would work with us. His opinion is that he doesn't think they truly need the ankle braces and stander that the PT has recommended, but that the equipment won't hurt them, so if we would like to move forward with it, he would do what was needed.

So, it looks like we have all we need now to get the equipment and continue to move forward with their physical therapy.

I was very nervous going into this appointment, but he reassured me that we are doing everything that we can at this point to help them continue to develop as they should.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is great news about your appointment! So glad things are going well!

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX