Saturday, November 14, 2009

One year ago:

I went into work to gather my things and talk to my boss about what I needed to work on from home. I was hoping to be on bed rest for at least 10 weeks, so I brought home everything I could put in a box, and talked to our IT person about setting me up with a laptop so that I could access all of my documents from home. It was all in order.

The monitoring company delivered a box later in the day...a big box. It struck me as funny that they would deliver a box with so much equipment that took a lot of time to set up to a pregnant woman with strict instructions not to get out of bed. Luckily, my friend, Christina, was able to come over and set it up for me. She also showed me how to check my blood pressure with the cuff provided.

The instructions were to monitor and check my blood pressure once in the morning and again in the evening, and the "strips" that the monitor recorded were sent to the monitoring company though the monitor base, electronically somehow. Once the company had received the strip, they would call and tell me what they saw.

The monitor strapped around my belly, and was hooked to a little machine that just kept beeping at me. Apparently, either the belt wasn't tight enough, or I hadn't done something right. After about an hour and a half of trying to get it to work, I sent the strip to the monitoring company. The nurse said they had enough recorded and that it hadn't shown any contractions.

I went to bed that night very happy and confident that the babies were going to stay in for at least another 10 weeks.

Today:

I think Karyssa said her first word last night...Bella! Actually, it sounded more like "Be-wa, Be-wa, Be-wa, Be-wa", but she said it while Bella was playing right in front of her, and she was looking right at her when she started saying it. There have been times, when she is crying, that she'll say "mama" or "dada", but I haven't been convinced that she knew what she was saying, instead of just mumbling what she's heard us say.

It's not surprising that she knows Bella's name. "No, Bella", "Don't lick the baby, Bella", "Come here, Bella", and "Good girl, Bella" are frequent phrases around our house. My niece Kahlan said Bella every time they came over to our house. Instead of Aunt Talyse and Uncle Jason's house, it was Bella's house. Kids love Bella and she loves kids.

Kyran can pull on her ears, and Karyssa will play with her feet (although I did stop her from trying to chew on Bella's toes the other day), and she just lays there, sometimes trying to lick them, other times just watching. We are blessed to have such a good dog, and it's very obvious why the babies already know her name.


No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX