One year ago:
When I checked into the hospital last year, they told me I would probably be there through the weekend. One year ago today, they said I would most likely be there until the babies were born. I was still on 2 mg of Mag, so I was sleeping a lot of the time, and trying to get work done when I wasn't sleeping (probably not the best idea, since I was kind of drugged, but I was able to get stuff done and it helped to keep my mind occupied).
This was my first day alone, but I had a great nurse and a couple of visitors who helped me get through the day. I was still having about four contractions per hour, and we scheduled an ultrasound for Thursday, to see how the babies were doing and how I was holding up.
I also received my first of two Celestone shots. Celestone is a steroid, given twice when pre-term delivery is eminent (sometimes 12 hours apart, sometimes 24 hours apart), that helps the fetus's lungs and other organs mature more quickly and reduces the risk that, after birth, the baby will have difficulty breathing (neonatal respiratory distress syndrome) or other problems related to prematurity.
I was told after the babies were born that I probably received this too soon, and that the effects had worn off significantly by the time the babies were actually born, but I know the doctors were doing what they thought best, given the way my pregnancy seemed to be progressing.
Today:
After two busy days, today we are doing nothing! It's chilly and wet outside, so it's a good day to relax around the house and catch up on things.
When I went into the nursery to get the babies up for lunch, this is what I saw -

That's right, she officially sat herself up for the first time, and she's done it twice since!
I tried to get a picture of her smiling, since she was in a good mood today, but didn't have any luck. I did get one of her right after she smiled. It's not the best picture, but you can see her teeth in it!

Kyran is still working on his army crawl, but in the meantime he's gotten very good at rolling to get where he wants to go. This was all in a matter of one minute -



When I checked into the hospital last year, they told me I would probably be there through the weekend. One year ago today, they said I would most likely be there until the babies were born. I was still on 2 mg of Mag, so I was sleeping a lot of the time, and trying to get work done when I wasn't sleeping (probably not the best idea, since I was kind of drugged, but I was able to get stuff done and it helped to keep my mind occupied).
This was my first day alone, but I had a great nurse and a couple of visitors who helped me get through the day. I was still having about four contractions per hour, and we scheduled an ultrasound for Thursday, to see how the babies were doing and how I was holding up.
I also received my first of two Celestone shots. Celestone is a steroid, given twice when pre-term delivery is eminent (sometimes 12 hours apart, sometimes 24 hours apart), that helps the fetus's lungs and other organs mature more quickly and reduces the risk that, after birth, the baby will have difficulty breathing (neonatal respiratory distress syndrome) or other problems related to prematurity.
I was told after the babies were born that I probably received this too soon, and that the effects had worn off significantly by the time the babies were actually born, but I know the doctors were doing what they thought best, given the way my pregnancy seemed to be progressing.
Today:
After two busy days, today we are doing nothing! It's chilly and wet outside, so it's a good day to relax around the house and catch up on things.
When I went into the nursery to get the babies up for lunch, this is what I saw -
That's right, she officially sat herself up for the first time, and she's done it twice since!
I tried to get a picture of her smiling, since she was in a good mood today, but didn't have any luck. I did get one of her right after she smiled. It's not the best picture, but you can see her teeth in it!

Kyran is still working on his army crawl, but in the meantime he's gotten very good at rolling to get where he wants to go. This was all in a matter of one minute -
No comments:
Post a Comment