Friday, November 13, 2009

You may remember from this earlier post that Friday the 13th has always been a good day for us. Last year, November 13 was a very stressful and concerning day, but this year, we are reminded once again of how lucky and blessed we are!

One year ago:






These were our children. Baby A (Kyran) was estimated at 1 lb, 10 oz and Baby B (Karyssa) was estimated at 1 lb, 6 oz. They were continuing to grow very well and their heartbeats were strong.

But there was very disheartening news. My cervical length was down to 1.6 cm. At 24 weeks in a normal pregnancy, that number should be between 3-5 cm. I was put on bed rest and a medicine called Terbutaline to stop any contractions that I may have been having. The Terbutaline caused me to shake, so I also had to take an anti-anxiety medicine to control that.

My doctor said that I could go in to work only long enough to pack up what I needed and that I could get off of the couch to use the bathroom, prepare food and shower, and that I could go downstairs in the morning and upstairs in the evening. Other than that, I was to lay on my sides at all times.

Before that point, he had mentioned the potential of bed rest at 34 weeks, so needless to say, it was shocking to be on it at just over 24 weeks. I was upset, but I think I was also in a state of denial. Everything had been perfect so far (minus the gestational diabetes), how could anything go wrong now?

He ordered a home monitoring system for me that would be dropped off the next day and would show if I was having any contractions. I wasn't feeling any, so I was pretty confident that I wasn't having any. My job now was to lay down, continue to monitor my GD and stay hydrated.

Today:






Kyran is starting to creep forward a little. He still gets where he wants to go mainly by rolling, but his upper body strength is getting better and he's showing signs of being able to army crawl soon. He is also sitting up consistently now. He does better with a toy in front of him, but is very capable of sitting on his own without anything to lean on.

Karyssa is all over the place, and although she has figured out what "no" means, it just causes her to smile as she does what she knows she's not supposed to. There are toys all over our living room, but when I put her down, she plays with them for a short time, but gets bored quickly and finds any paper, magazines, wires or Bella's bones that she can get to. This toy is on loan from our PT.



As part of her therapy, we started putting her in it and letting her crawl out of it. She's been doing that pretty well for about two weeks now. Since the house is already "Bella-proofed", we have yet to do any extra baby-proofing, so this has been the barrier from the living room to the kitchen. This weekend, she crawled into it, then back out of the other side to get into the kitchen and to her Daddy. She is also now pulling up onto her knees on the couch and stairs.

Oh, what a scary world it's turning into, but for much different reasons than a year ago!






No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX