Sunday, January 17, 2010

At Karyssa and Kyran's 1-year check-up, there was a little over a pound difference in their weight. I know that he looks and feels bigger than her, but it always amazes me when people tell me they can't be twins because he's "so much bigger" than she is.

I've realized recently that Kyran is going to be trouble. Not trouble in a horrible way, but trouble in a scary-to-mommy way. He definitely has delays physically, but his brain is always on the move, and once he figures out how to do something, he moves right on to the next accomplishment.

He is now 100% army-crawling to get where he wants to go, and he's getting fast! He can make it over to our DVDs and knock them all over before I even realize where he's heading. This morning, before I changed Karyssa, I sat him on the floor facing away from me. When I was done changing her, he was sitting about five feet away, facing me, meaning he had crawled to get his toy and then sat himself back up!

He also took great strides yesterday...literally. I mentioned before that he has been taking steps while holding on to our hands. Yesterday, I stood him up at the walker (with me behind him, and Jason making sure the walker didn't go too far) and he took six steps, without any support other than the walker!!!!!!

Karyssa has not taken any steps with the walker yet, but she continues to cruise along the furniture, and is definitely picking up speed with that.

Waving has become one of her favorite things to do. No matter what she's doing, if she looks up and sees me watching her, she'll reach up and wave. She has three waves now - her whole-arm up-and-down wave, her finger wave, and her new side-to-side wave.

Poor Kyran doesn't get to have any fun. Because of Karyssa's development, we're always one step ahead of him. Yesterday, Jason lowered their cribs all the way down, so Kyran will have to work a little harder to pull up than Karyssa did when she was able to grab the top railing of the crib. As he lowered them, he realized that there were outlets on the wall next to each crib. We knew that, given enough time, both babies would be able to pull out the simple outlet covers, so he used the heavy-duty outlet covers that screw into the wall. Sure enough, when he went into their room this morning, Karyssa was trying to pull it off the wall!

I'd like to wish a happy belated birthday to Kyran and Karyssa's first friends from the NICU, Austin, Benjamin and Cole. The triplets turned one yesterday and are doing so well!

Last week, we realized that we never received birth certificates for the babies. So, Friday, I went to get them. As I walked in and sat down to wait, I saw an adorable baby boy, who looked a lot like Kyran, so I asked his parents how old he was. They said he was almost one, and that he had been born at 29 weeks, weighing 2 lb, 11 oz (exactly what Karyssa weighed)! It doesn't end there, though. He was born on January 27, at the same hospital as Kyran and Karyssa, and was a resident of Room 8, which had previously belonged to both Morgan Kate and Kyran! DJ spent 5 weeks there and is doing great! What a small world!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it crazy how they grow and change in just one day? MK is into everything as well. And she's pretty sneaky too!

I am so glad they are doing so well. They both put such a big smile on my face.

Isn't it such a small world? Glad to know that little boy is doing so well too! These babies are such fighters!

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX