Saturday, January 23, 2010

We have had several exciting updates and changes over the past week:

1. Karyssa's transition to paci-less life has been a pretty smooth one.  She hasn't seemed to miss it at all in the car or out on walks or on our trip to the zoo.  She does fuss for a couple of minutes before each nap, but goes to bed at night without a sound and is sleeping through the night perfectly again!

2. We have started working on colors this week.  It seems that both of them prefer the color purple, so I'm teaching purple and red to Karyssa and purple and green to Kyran right now.  Karyssa is pretty consistent about picking the right one when I ask, and today, she picked up the red one and said "red"! 

3. Kyran is trying hard to pull himself from sitting to standing on some of his toys, and is getting closer every day.  Now that he is army-crawling everywhere, he loves to follow Karyssa around the house! 

4. The transition to whole milk went very smoothly, as did the transition to the trainer cup.  Both babies still have some problems keeping their arms up high enough while sitting on their own, so we are using boppies and the corner of the couch to give their backs some support, and they seem to be getting the hang of it.  It's so nice to not have to wash all of those bottle parts over and over again! 

6.  Kyran has had a fever about every three days since getting over his cold, so although the nurses didn't think it was necessary, I scheduled an appointment for yesterday morning.  Dr. Bartlett said he has the beginnings of a sinus infection.  She expects it to clear on its own over the weekend, but just in case, prescribed Kyran's first antibiotic.  If his fever comes back after Monday, we will start that with him. 

7.  While we were at the doctor, we got updated weights.  Kyran now weighs 17 lb, 6 oz (a 5 oz gain since Jan. 4) and Karyssa (with clothes on) now weighs 16 lb, 8 oz (a 10 oz gain since Jan. 4)!!!

8.  Dr. Bartlett and Erin have lined up therapists, so Kyran and Karyssa will both be evaluated for speech and occupational therapy needs within the next week or two. 

9.  Since the wedding, I have stopped pumping after every feeding, and only pump once each night before bed.  This has definitely affected my supply, but we're supplementing with more whole milk, so the babies seem to be fine.  I will be starting the weaning process pretty soon, and have to admit that I'm very sad about it. 

Although I started pumping once the babies were born, I didn't actually get to nurse them until a month later.  Kyran's anniversary was Thursday, and Karyssa's will be tomorrow.  I never dreamed when they were in the NICU that I would still be nursing one year later!

10.  We purchased a third car seat so that we can have one permanently in Jason's car.  This will help us to spend some one-on-one time with each child.  I am not a twin, but being the second of four children, I know how valuable one-on-one time is!

When I lived in Charlotte, I became very good friends with one of my co-workers, Sara.  She and her husband Chris are now expecting boy/girl twins in April.  Sara was placed on bed rest two weeks ago because her cervix is a little short.  She is not experiencing any contractions, so that's a good thing!  Please say a prayer for Chris and Sara and the babies.  She is at 30 weeks now and we're praying for at least 36!




No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX