Friday, December 4, 2009

One year ago:

I spent my first night at home in almost three weeks. I woke up that morning and waited until the "transportation" (my wheelchair and the friendly gentleman who wheeled me to the ultrasound room both times) arrived to take me for my ultrasound.

Things looked good. Again, there had been no change with me, but the babies were growing and changing very well. Although I had lost six pounds during my hospital stay, Kyran was estimated at 2 lb, 11 oz and Karyssa at 2 lb, 6 oz, about a half pound gain each from two weeks prior.

The discharge papers were prepared very quickly, and Jason arrived to take me home. I had accumulated a lot of stuff during my stay, and most had been taken out of the room the night before, but they loaded me and the rest of my things in a wheelchair and wheeled me out into the sunshine and fresh air for the first time in 19 days!

Jason got me settled in at home and headed back to work. My mom came over shortly afterwards and stayed with me until Jason came home.

I remember thinking that night that I would never again take for granted my own bed and my husband's arms around me at night!

Today:

Countdown until Kyran and Karyssa's first birthday - 17 days!!

The babies learned two new games today! During their play time in the Pack 'n Play, Karyssa thought it would be funny to take Kyran's toy and dangle it just out of his reach. Just when he started to get frustrated, she would place it in his lap and let him have it for a second before taking it back. This would make them both laugh, and she did it over and over again, always getting the same result.

When Kyran's attention shifted to another toy, she would take the new one and start all over again. The problem came when Kyran decided he didn't want to play anymore, and didn't let her take the toy back. Karyssa started to cry and the game was over. I'm curious to see if they ever play that game again.

Tonight, Jason was cuddling with Kyran and Kyran reached up to touch Jason's face. Jason took that opportunity to blow raspberries all over Kyran's face, which made Kyran laugh very hard. When Jason stopped, Kyran looked at him and reached up to touch his face again. This repeated over and over again, with Kyran in fits of laughter. I just love how they are learning cause and effect so quickly now!

Kyran is scooting more and more every day. He still gets tired very quickly, though. Today, he scooted after the cat and to get to the goldfish that Jason laid out for him. He loved the goldfish, and even knew instinctively that he could chomp down (with his five teeth) and break the goldfish in half.

No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX