One year ago:
A year ago today, the nurse told us that the doctor had ordered an ultrasound for the next day, and that if everything looked good, I could be headed home on bed rest as early as the next Monday!
That evening, when the doctor came to make his rounds, he said that he anticipated good news, and that if he was right, he would discharge me the next day!
I was excited about that idea, because I was sick of being in the hospital, but I was also scared. At the hospital, I knew that nurses were just a call button away. Food was prepared and brought to me every day. I didn't have to worry about anything except keeping the babies in.
At home, I would be alone. If my water broke, I'd have to call an ambulance. When I needed food, I'd have to get up myself. Bella would be stuck in her crate all day, because otherwise, she would be all over me.
There was so much to think about, and so much to do in the next day to get it all ready.
Today:
Kyran and Karyssa have become almost impossible to change. Diapers or clothes, they are twisting and turning over and trying to get to everything. On the changing table downstairs, they aren't so bad, because there isn't really anywhere they can go. But when we change them on our bed (which we got in the habit of doing when they had their monitors on, and haven't broken), it's a different story.
Kyran isn't quite as bad about it as Karyssa, but he's getting worse every day. In Karyssa's defense, though, about a month or so ago, she started helping us put her shirts on. We just have to put her arms in the arm holes, and she will push them all the way through. Kyran has done it a few times, but normally just lets us do all of the work.
It's amazing to see the changes in them from week to week. Three weeks ago, we went out to eat, and Kyran could barely sit up in his high chair. Last night, we went out to celebrate a friend's birthday, and not only was he sitting up well, but when he did fall back, he caught himself and pulled himself back up!
Karyssa is sitting herself up constantly now. It's just one swift move from army crawling, to side-sit to sitting up.
Their PT told me that there are several steps that they have to take before they walk:
1. Sitting unassisted (check)
2. Standing supported (check)
3. Sitting themselves up (check for Karyssa)
4. Pulling up (half check for Karyssa, she can pull herself to her knees, but not to her feet, and 1/4 check for Kyran, as he's started to try to crawl out of his Tupperware container and bathtub).
5. Crawling on hands and knees
6. Cruising on furniture
7. Standing unassisted
8. Getting themselves into standing on their own.
So, we still have some work to do, but she said she can see them walking well by next May, which will put them about 16 or 17 months old, a great accomplishment for preemies!
No comments:
Post a Comment