Saturday, December 19, 2009

One year ago:

We were headed to the doctor for a check-up, and we were both pretty optimistic. My contractions had been under control. We had only increased my terbutaline amount once. The babies were very active and I felt fine. I truly believed that we would be heading home after the appointment and that the babies wouldn't be making their entrance for another two or three weeks.

Boy was I wrong.

The ultrasound technician measured the babies and they were continuing to grow very well. To be honest, I don't remember how much their weight was estimated, and I don't think we wrote it down, but it was close to being right, based on how much the babies weighed at birth.

Then she did the check of my cervix and told me that things did not look good. I was immediately put in an exam room and told to lie down until the doctor came in. By the doctor's estimation, I was about two centimeters dilated and 75% effaced. He called for a wheel chair, and once again, I was admitted to the hospital.

Just like before, they hooked me up to heartbeat and contraction monitors, and an IV of magnesium sulfate. Unlike before, though, the contractions did not slow down. We were preparing for the babies to be born that day, until finally, things did start to slow and I was brought to a high-risk maternity room, rather than a labor and delivery room.

Having so much mag pumping into me, I don't remember much else from that day, but here is what our babies looked like.




Today:

Countdown to Kyran and Karyssa's first birthday - 2 days!!!

We had a busy day with lots of running around and very quick cat naps. This morning, they got their second H1N1 shot, so they are done with their flu shots now. I also went to the store and got a few cute things for their birthday. I'll hopefully have those pictures posted on Tuesday.

We're hoping to have the tiling project finished before Christmas, and I am so ready to have my kitchen and downstairs bathroom back. In the meantime, as you'll see in one of the pictures below, we've been feeding the babies in the living room, where we also have the tree, all of their toys and their new stander. That room is getting very crowded!

This morning, while waiting for their flu shots, we met a nice family with four-year-old twin boys. They were also born at 29 weeks, weighing 2 lb, 14 oz and 2 lb, 2 oz, and spent two months at the NICU of the same hospital as Kyran and Karyssa. It is always so inspiring to meet preemie babies who are "all grown up" and doing so well! As usual, Kyran couldn't stop smiling at them and Karyssa just stared.

I want my living room back!


Yes...she got in there on her own!



No comments:

The Burkett Bundle on WLTX